[Numpy-discussion] numpyx.pyx (recent svn) works?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Apr 8 18:36:29 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 04:28:11PM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
>  > I *could* make it pyrex/cython-valid, it's trivial but just adds noise
>  > IMHO...  As Stefan said, pyrex is essentially unmaintained as far as
>  > publicly-visible development goes, while cython is very actively
>  > moving ahead and likely picking up better numpy support soon (thanks
>  > to Dag and other GSoC work), so why not just follow that?
>
>  Because Cython is not yet shipped be all the major distros (including not
>  Enthought's EPD current Beta, AFAIK), so it rules out a fair amount of
>  people who cannot/do not want to install something not shipped.

Unfortunately this is a case where the tool that is distributed
(pyrex) has serious limitations for our purposes, and will hopefully
soon (as Cython grows numpy support) be simply unusable: anyone
wanting numpy/.pyx use will HAVE to use cython.   So in this case, the
above argument doesn't really apply: if the shipped tool simply
doesn't do what you need, having it available by default does you zero
good.

Cheers,