[Numpy-discussion] numpyx.pyx (recent svn) works?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Apr 9 03:51:47 CDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:22 AM, Francesc Altet <faltet@carabos.com> wrote:
>  Well, I agree that Greg Ewing (the Pyrex creator) has possibly not been
>  very speedy in adding the suggested patches (Greg has his own thoughts
>  on what should be added to Pyrex and what not), which ultimately
>  brought to the need of the Cython fork, but let me stress out that he
>  has always been *very* responsive to the questions on the Pyrex list,
>  and quick enough in fixing real problems in Pyrex.  I'm personally very
>  satisfied with Pyrex as does its job extremely well.  And I'm specially
>  grateful to Greg for his *huge* contribution to make the job of doing
>  Python extensions a pretty simple job.
>
>  So, I don't really think that Pyrex should be considered a "worrying
>  tool" at all (even in the "long run"), rather the contrary, it is a
>  extremely useful tool.  Having said that, I'm all for pushing Cython
>  forward (specially if the integration with NumPy becomes a reality :).

I certainly didn't mean to bash the developer, nor to diminish in any
way his contribution.  Obviously cython wouldn't exist in the first
place if it weren't thanks to pyrex :)  But for an open source
project, in this day and age, to have this as its only public source
of code history:

http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python/Pyrex/hg/

isn't really great IMO: public updates from 4 months ago?  That's why
I feel better about a project with an open development model as a core
tool to depend on.  Ultimately each developer can choose to run his
personal project in any way he chooses to, but other projects are also
free to choose what bases they build upon :)

Cheers,