[Numpy-discussion] packaging scipy (was Re: Simple financial functions for NumPy)

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Thu Apr 10 00:38:51 CDT 2008

Hi Chris

On 09/04/2008, Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker@noaa.gov> wrote:
>  I have yet to advocate that the Matlab users in my group (The Scientists
>  that happen to need a bit of programming, but have no interest in it)
>  start using Python, but, frankly, "import *", and minor syntax like that
>  has nothing to do with it. Aside from the fact that they are already
>  familiar with Matlab, the big issues are the fact that there is no one
>  thing they can install to get an IDE, complete and well integrated
>  plotting, and extensive library of assorted functions.
>
>  Numpy+Scipy+MPL+Who-knows-what-editor are close, but the ease of use is
>  not there yet, and it's NOT because of too many namespaces.

I'm toying with the idea of having our students install SAGE this
year.  This would give them a great framework for interactive
experimentation.  I am worried, however, that it would keep them from
learning how to write standalone Python code, with proper structure in
terms of classes etc. -- SAGE is not an IDE after all.  On the other
hand it does address the packaging issue.

I'm placing my hope in IPython (IPython1), with its (in-development)
notebook interface.

Regards
Stéfan