[Numpy-discussion] Infinity definitions

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Thu Apr 10 09:29:52 CDT 2008

Hi,
Since we are discussing namespace and standardization, I am curious in
why there are multiple definitions for defining infinity in numpy when
perhaps there should be two (one for positive infinity and one for
negative infinity). I really do understand that other people have use of
these definitions and that it is easier to leave them in than take them
out. Also, it is minor reduction in namespace because I do know that
much of the namespace is either defining variables (like different
floats and complex numbers) or mathematical functions (like logs and
trig functions).

Currently we have:
numpy.Inf
numpy.Infinity
numpy.inf
numpy.infty
numpy.NINF
numpy.PINF

Most of these are defined in numeric.py: 'Inf = inf = infty = Infinity =
PINF'
In the f2py/tests subdirectories, the files return_real.py and
return_complex.py uses both 'inf','Infinity'.
The only occurrence of NINF and PINF are in core/src/umathmodule.c but I
don't see any other usage.
There does not seem to be any use of 'infty'.

A similar case could be made for 'Not a Number' (nan = NaN = NAN).

Regards
Bruce