[Numpy-discussion] problem with float64's str()

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Apr 10 19:38:45 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That said, str(float_numpy_scalar) really should have the same rules
> > as str(some_python_float).
>
> For all different precisions?

No. I should have said str(float64_numpy_scalar). I am content to
leave the other types alone.

> And what should the rules be.

All Python does is use a lower decimal precision for __str__ than __repr__.

> I note that
> numpy doesn't distinguish between repr and str, maybe we could specify
> different behavior for the two.

Yes, precisely.

--
Robert Kern