[Numpy-discussion] #734: interactive docstring search (lookfor)

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Apr 10 22:26:28 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Christopher Barker
>  <Chris.Barker@noaa.gov> wrote:
>  >  Is there anything numpy/scypi specific about it? I
>  >  d like to use this kind of thing with other packages, in which case it
>  >  definitely does not belong in numpy or scipy.
>
>  Basically, it's a configuration issue, I think. The tool needs to know
>  which packages to search in because it can't search every installed
>  package (it needs to load them all!).

And it's worth keeping in mind that there may be packages out there
who can't all happily coexist at the same time in memory, or that have
very expensive imports...

I'm thinking of having an API for this so the user can register a set
of default packages to always have loaded, as well as an easy way to
load others at runtime into the available index.  That way, users can
easily load what they need in any given session (one day it could be
Qt and the next WX).

Cheers,