[Numpy-discussion] Win32 installer: please test it

Bill Baxter wbaxter@gmail....
Sun Apr 13 21:16:37 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:57 AM, David Cournapeau
<david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>  > What's the installer supposed to do?
>
>  It is supposed to install numpy :) The fact that it is not clear is not
>  good, obviously. Suggestions to make it more obvious are welcomed.
>

>  > It appears to have decided I have SSE3 extracted an sse3 exe to
>  > somewhere, and then quit without doing anything else.  I can't seem to
>  > find where it put the numpy-1.0.5-sse3.exe it extracted, either.
>
>  You did not have the usual serie of screens for numpy installation
>  (python version detection, etc...) ? If not, this means the installer
>  does not work at all.
>
>  If working, you are not supposed to find the numpy-1.0.5-sse3.exe, the
>  whole idea of the installer is to choose the right numpy installer, and
>  run it. This is meant to simplify windows' users life, the ones who do
>  not know nor care about what SSE or ATLAS is and whether their computer
>  support it.
>

>  > The details, say "Execute: numpy-1.0.5-sse3.exe" but no executing
>  > seems to have happened.
>
>  No executing and no error ? That's the worse thing which could happen,
>  and the exact thing I was fearing (this and vista support).

That's right.  No execution and no error.  The installer finishes
(quite quickly!) as if it did everything according to plan.

Anything I can do to help you track down the problem?  It's a Win XP system.

Some of my environment vars that might be relevant:
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=15
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0401
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=2
HOME=c:\bax
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\baxter
PYTHONPATH=c:\bax\code\python;f:\bax\code\python
PYTHONSTARTUP=f:\bax\code\python\mystartup.py

The default encoding of the machine is set to Japanese (CP931), but
the langauge is English.

That's about all I can think of that might be unusual.

--bb