[Numpy-discussion] Release of NumPy

Tue Apr 15 00:12:06 CDT 2008

Charles R Harris wrote:

> I think we have a long way to go to get to 1.1. What API changes have
> we made that are so great that we can't release 1.0.5? The only area
> where I have seen real problems is in masked arrays. My preference
> would be to release the trunk as 1.0.5, and if not, simply deprecate
> 1.0.4 and move to 1.1.  I don't think it's worth the time and effort
> to backport anything.

Normally, api versioning does not depend on how big your changes are: if
you break even one function api, you should signal an API break. It
really boils down to conventions: what do you do when you break API ?
For major C/C++ libraries which care about API/ABI stability, this means
a new major version. For python, this means new minor version. For
numpy, it could be new micro version...

cheers,

David