[Numpy-discussion] Release of NumPy

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Tue Apr 15 00:28:05 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we have a long way to go to get to 1.1. What API changes have we
> made that are so great that we can't release 1.0.5? The only area where I
> have seen real problems is in masked arrays. My preference would be to
> release the trunk as 1.0.5, and if not, simply deprecate 1.0.4 and move to
> 1.1.  I don't think it's worth the time and effort to backport anything.

I was originally expecting to release the trunk as 1.0.5, but I just
started worrying that we had been a little too liberal (mea culpa)
with allowing some code changes that were pushing in API breakage and
new features.  Since I think the trunk is fairly stable and we should
release ASAP, I propose to have a very short-lived 1.1 and move to
developing 1.2 as soon as 1.1 is released.  This will also allow us to
"officially" deprecate or warn users about upcoming changes in 1.2 in
the 1.1 release series.

Sorry that I wasn't more careful in watching over the 1.0.5 release
and that we are having to go to a 1.1 release on such short notice.
Again, just to be clear:  This doesn't signify a change in the scope
of the next release, we are just being more honest about the status of
this release.  We could have added more API breakage and features to
this release, if I had noticed what was happening sooner.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley