[Numpy-discussion] Release of NumPy

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Tue Apr 15 01:44:41 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  Given that the next release will be 1.1, I think it is reasonable to
>  >  include a few additional API breaks.
>
>  -lots. I don't want to break API compatibility again no matter what
>  version number we bump to, 1.1, 2.0, or 24. It is simply not okay to
>  do this again and again.

I didn't mean to sound like I was encouraging API breakage.  I agree
with Robert we need to be extremely careful about breaking the API.
NumPy is a fairly mature project that is depended on by lots and lots
of code.  If we break the API, we better have an extremely good reason
and, even then, we need to minimize it as much as possible.  My main
concern is that when we do break APIs we can't do it in a micro
release like 1.0.5.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley