[Numpy-discussion] Release of NumPy

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Wed Apr 16 17:02:53 CDT 2008

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Stéfan van der Walt apparently wrote:
> I showed you exactly where your proposal breaks down --
> numerous times: x[0] is no longer the same as x[0,:]

And as I explained back: this is a good thing (TM).
There is no need for these to be the same.

I also gave you the simple rule for users to rely on:
nonscalar indexes are used for submatrix extraction.

It is not a breakdown.
It is the proposal:
restore the proper behavior of x[0],
but keep submatrix extraction **exactly**
the same as it is now (for nonscalar indexes).

What it gains is that x[i][j] == x[i,j].

Alan