[Numpy-discussion] numpy setup.py too restrictive, prevents use of fblas with cblas

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Apr 16 17:13:09 CDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Andreas Klöckner
<lists@informa.tiker.net> wrote:
> On Mittwoch 16 April 2008, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>  > The inclusion of those cblas routines sounds like a good idea.  Could
>  > you describe which we need, and what would be required to get this
>  > done?
>
>  Suppose cblas gets included in numpy, but for some reason someone decides to
>  link another copy of cblas with their (separate) extension. Can we be certain
>  that this does not lead to crashes on any platform supported by numpy?

I imagine we would have the same problem with the f2c'ed default
LAPACK routines we include to support numpy.linalg. I haven't heard of
this ever causing a problem.

However, if there is a conflict, we can get around it with clever
#defines such that the actual symbols in the extension module would
be, say, numpy_cblas_dgemm, etc.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."