[Numpy-discussion] Release of NumPy

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Wed Apr 16 17:20:25 CDT 2008

On 17/04/2008, Alan G Isaac <aisaac@american.edu> wrote:
>  It is not a breakdown.
>  It is the proposal:
>  restore the proper behavior of x[0],
>  but keep submatrix extraction **exactly**
>  the same as it is now (for nonscalar indexes).
>
>  What it gains is that x[i][j] == x[i,j].

As the patch I sent earlier shows, we can gain that without
compromising on x[0] == x[0,:].

The Vector class can be tweaked further in how it is converted to an
array.  It would be easy to produce a 1d-array -- and there's some
argument for consistency there.

I don't want you to feel that I steam-rollered your proposal, though,
so before I commit I'd like for someone to objectively take a look at
both approaches/patches and comment.

Goodnight,
Stéfan