[Numpy-discussion] Release of NumPy

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Wed Apr 16 18:09:39 CDT 2008

On 17/04/2008, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> On 17/04/2008, Alan G Isaac <aisaac@american.edu> wrote:
>  >  It is not a breakdown.
>  >  It is the proposal:
>  >  restore the proper behavior of x[0],
>  >  but keep submatrix extraction **exactly**
>  >  the same as it is now (for nonscalar indexes).
>  >
>  >  What it gains is that x[i][j] == x[i,j].
>

> As the patch I sent earlier shows, we can gain that without
>  compromising on x[0] == x[0,:].
>
>  The Vector class can be tweaked further in how it is converted to an
>  array.  It would be easy to produce a 1d-array -- and there's some
>  argument for consistency there.
>
>  I don't want you to feel that I steam-rollered your proposal, though,
>  so before I commit I'd like for someone to objectively take a look at
>  both approaches/patches and comment.

Split infinitive -- I'd get in trouble for that.

Please use the latest patch (attached), which fixes a bug with assignment.

I experimented with returning an (N,) array when converting using
vector.A, but I'm not convinced that that is consistent behaviour, so
I let that issue remain for now.

Cheers
Stéfan