[Numpy-discussion] /usr/bin/python: double free or corruption

Eric Emsellem emsellem@obs.univ-lyon1...
Thu Apr 17 12:11:47 CDT 2008

Hi,

I just installed a new openSuse 10.3, python, numpy, etc, on a 32 bit PC (using
the rpm provide on the science Suse repository)

When using numpy.fromfile, I get a glibc error when it tries to read something
which is not there (end of the file).
So for example with a file "tmp" which has nothing in it:

> file = open("tmp","rb")
> import numpy as num
> num.fromfile(file,dtype=num.int16,count=1)

1 items requested but only 0 read
*** glibc detected *** /usr/bin/python: double free or corruption (fasttop):
0x08a5ac78 ***

but on my other machine it does it well and just answers:

1 items requested but only 0 read
Out[102]:array([], dtype=int16)

Any hint why this fails?

thanks!

Eric

extra INFO :
The machine where it does not work is 32bit, and:
matplotlib version 0.91.2
platform is linux2
numerix numpy 1.0.4
backend GTKAgg version 2.10.6
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jan 10 2008, 18:01:57