[Numpy-discussion] Distutils: using different linker options for c++ and c code

Fri Apr 18 01:37:23 CDT 2008

> > That was in case we publish binaries made with Visual Studio, as David
> > asked about this matter. The debugging symbols are indeed different,
> > but if it is possible to use Visual Studio, why shouldn't we ?
>

> Well, because it is not available freely and is not open source. I am
> really reluctant to do this, personally, but if we don't have a
> choice... It will mean that someone will have to do all the work for
> windows, though. I personally won't waste any time using visual studio.

I remember our chat about this some months ago, and I agree, you shouldn't
take time for Visual Studio :) Hopefully with Python 2.6, everyone will be
able to use Visual Studio 2008. Meanwhile, I can only spend time building
numpy (and scipy if there is a free Fortran compiler available that is
compatible with VS 2003) :( Perhaps in some months I'll be freer.

Matthieu
--
French PhD student