[Numpy-discussion] Truth value of an array

David Douard david.douard@logilab...
Fri Apr 18 06:55:17 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 01:11:37PM +0200, Olivier Verdier wrote:
> In mathematics, if I compare two function, it means that I compare on
> all its "coordinates". If I say "f < g" I mean "f(x) < g(x) for all
> x".
>
> The same holds for a vector, if I write "v == w" I mean "v[i] == w[i]
> for all i".
>
> How come this doesn't work in numpy? And why the message about the
> truth value of an array being ambiguous? What is ambiguous?
>
> In my opinion any boolean array should be cast with all()
> automatically so that people can simply write:
> if v == w:

No. A comparison operator on ndarray produce an ndarray of booleans. So
you have to write

if numpy.alltrue(u == v):
   blah

This is a very good idea, since it allows you to also write things
like:

u[v<0] = 0

Which you could definitely not do if the comparison returns a scalar
bool instead of a ndarray.

More, you may also want to write things like:

if numpy.sometrue(u<0):
   blah

Same remark.