[Numpy-discussion] f2py on windows cant find gfortran because split_quoted() removed from ccompiler.py

Pearu Peterson pearu@cens.ioc...
Mon Apr 21 06:00:58 CDT 2008

Jarrod Millman wrote:

> Our version of split_quoted()  was added several years ago and should
> I think be submitted for inclusion upstream.  I know that distutils
> isn't exactly being maintained, but--Pearu--is it possible that we
> could get this upstream?

I looked into the distutils code again and remembered the following
circumstances:

The split_quoted hack that we have in numpy.distutils, was the
"minimal fix" of the path name handling issue - it basically adds
only two extra lines to the function body and works well.

However, the split_quoted hack is not the "right fix".
The "right fix" would require more substantial changes to distutils
(note that distutils Windows support was developed on a unix
platform and it looks like many issues were fixed for specific
usage cases).

Since the "minimal fix" did its job (consider it as a workaround
to distutils misbehavior) and the "right fix" would require
much more work as well as lots of effort to prove upstream about
the importance of required changes
(consider the current distutils development status and
the fact that the numpy.distutils expands distutils in a direction
that upstream might not be interested in because the current
issue is irrelevant for std distutils tasks), I was satisfied
with the "minimal fix" (as at the time there were more important
issues to be resolved).

I suggest to leave this issue for practical reasons: the workaround
works and the correct fix is to painful to work out. Let practicality
beat purity in this case. I hope distutils will retire some day:)

Regards,
Pearu