[Numpy-discussion] numpy release

Ondrej Certik ondrej@certik...
Wed Apr 23 10:47:13 CDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Sebastian Haase <haase@msg.ucsf.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
>  > On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
>  >  > Hi Jarrod,
>  >  >
>  >  >  any news with the 1.0.5? If you have same prerelease, I'd like to test
>  >  >  it. Debian has just moved from python2.4 to python2.5 yesterday, so
>  >  >  I'd like to test numpy in advance, I am sure there will be some issues
>  >  >  to fix.
>  >
>  >  What is the plan with the release? There are some minor problems in
>  >  the Debian package, some of which are fixed by the new release.
>  >  I didn't fix those in Debian as I thought the new release is coming
>  >  out. But if it's going to take let's say month or two, I'll fix the
>  >  current Debian package now.
>  >

>  The problem is, that it was noticed that non-backwards compatible
>  changes were committed into svn.
>  Most noticeably a complete rewrite of the "ma" (Masked Array) package was done.
>  As a consequence it was decided, they no one would be interested in
>  "temporarily taking those changes out" "just to release 1.0.5".
>
>  Instead the next release will be called 1.1 -- which is (only; rather
>  still) "mostly" compatible with 1.0.x
>  What used to be referred to a the 1.1 version, that can break more
>  stuff, to allow for a cleaner design, will now be 1.2

OK, so I think we are going to try to fix the package in Debian right
now and not wait for the release.

I think this uncertainty about releases and about backward
compatibility is not good. The same about uncertainty where f2py is
going to end up.
But you know the drill "talk is cheap, show me the code", so I know I
could step up and help Jarrod with the release, but unfortunately, I
don't have time for it. :)

Ondrej