[Numpy-discussion] Matrix Class [was numpy release]

Bill Spotz wfspotz@sandia....
Thu Apr 24 21:52:10 CDT 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 5:45 PM, Timothy Hochberg wrote:

> Bill Spotz wrote:
> > I have generally thought about this in the context of, say, a
> > Krylov-space iterative method, and what that type of interface would
> > lead to the most readable code.
>
> Can you whip up a small example, starting with the current
> implementation?

This sounds like work.  ;-)

I'll shoot for putting something together this weekend.  I think Tim
is right; we've been talking around in circles, and we need something
concrete.

I also think that a conjugate gradient algorithm, say, is high-level
and doesn't require iterating over rows (or columns).  We should also
look at (at least) one other algorithm, one that iterates over rows.
I would suggest Gaussian elimination, unless this is too obviously a
high-level functionality that should be part of the extension module.

** Bill Spotz                                              **
** Sandia National Laboratories  Voice: (505)845-0170      **
** P.O. Box 5800                 Fax:   (505)284-0154      **
** Albuquerque, NM 87185-0370    Email: wfspotz@sandia.gov **