[Numpy-discussion] Generating Bell Curves (was: Using normal() )

Fri Apr 25 14:13:01 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Robert Kern wrote:
>
> > In that case, you need to search the literature of your field for precise
> > details on how to construct the curve that you want.
>
> Robert,
>
>   Considering how few of us work in this subject area there's not much in
> the way of resources.
>
>   Regardless, for now the working Gaussian code will do quite well. As time
> permits I'll see what I can find (or create) to produce a curve that
> reaches
> zero at the bounds.

You can use something like f(x) = (1-x**2)**2 , which has inflection points
and vanishes at +/- 1. Any of the B-splines will also do the trick.

Chuck