[Numpy-discussion] untenable matrix behavior in SVN

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Sat Apr 26 13:01:45 CDT 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Gael Varoquaux apparently wrote:
> For me this is wrong. list and tuples are not 2D. Numpy
> arrays happen to offer this feature, but you should not
> use it do to multiple dimension indexing.

But there is no proposal that people should index like this.
The underlying issue is iteration.  Currently::

    >>> A
    matrix([[1,  2],
            [ 3,  4]])
    >>> A = np.mat(x)
    >>> for row in A:
    ...  for col in row:
    ...   print col
    [[1  2]]
    [[3 4]]

So are you saying that one should not be able to iterate
through to the elements of a matrix?

So many natural expectations are broken by the current behavior!

Cheers,
Alan