[Numpy-discussion] untenable matrix behavior in SVN

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Sat Apr 26 13:32:01 CDT 2008

>> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Gael Varoquaux apparently wrote:
>>> I don't see where you get your universality.

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:15:14AM -0400, Alan G Isaac
> wrote:
>> Lists, tuples, arrays ...
>> Where is the exception?
>> Only matrices are the only 2d container I can
>> think of that are broken this way.

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Gael Varoquaux apparently wrote:
> List and Tuples are not 2D containers.

A list of lists is naturally conceived as 2d,
which is why you can initialize a 2d matrix
with a list of lists.

Try a Google search on "python two dimensional list"
to confirm that I am not promoting an anomalous view.

So I do not buy the way you are trying to parse
language here.  (Although I'm open to a fuller
argument.)

Cheers,
Alan