[Numpy-discussion] types as functions convert 1 elm arrays to scalars

Hoyt Koepke hoytak@gmail....
Tue Apr 29 01:28:14 CDT 2008

Hello,

I have a quick question that I'm hoping will improve my numpy
understanding.  I noticed some behavior when using float64 to convert
a matrix type that I didn't expect:

In [35]: b1 = array([1.0])

In [36]: float64(b1)
Out[36]: 1.0

In [37]: b2 = array([1.0, 2.0])

In [38]: float64(b2)
Out[38]: array([ 1.,  2.])

I didn't expect calling float64 would convert b1 to a scalar. Seems
like an inconsistency.  I assume this is intentional, as someone would
have noticed it a long time ago if not, so could someone explain the
reasoning behind it?  (or point me to a source that will help?)

Thanks!
--Hoyt