[Numpy-discussion] untenable matrix behavior in SVN

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Tue Apr 29 08:54:56 CDT 2008

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Stéfan van der Walt apparently wrote:
> We were thinking of raising a warning on scalar indexing
> for 1.1, but given the above, would that be sensical?

There seem to be three basic proposals for scalar indexing:

- raise an error
- return a 1d array
- return a new type of 1d container (apparently to be called
  a "vector" for some reason ...)

I do not think anyone is still arguing in favor of the
keeping the current behavior (where scalar indexing returns
a matrix)?

So the question seems to be: how best to warn users that the
behavior of scalar indexing is very likely to change.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac