[Numpy-discussion] untenable matrix behavior in SVN

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Tue Apr 29 12:11:36 CDT 2008

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Christopher Barker apparently wrote:
> Here are a few comments on that text

In response, I have modified
<URL:http://www.scipy.org/MatrixIndexing#guidelines>
to try to clarify what was meant and perhaps to address
your core concerns.

Alan

PS Perhaps I should note that I have come around to what
I take to be Tim H's view that matrix indexing should should
work just like ndarray indexing, except that when it
produces a 2d result then a matrix is returned.  (This means
giving up the current behavior of ``x[0,:]``.)  I also agree
with those who want ``rows`` and ``cols`` attributes for
iteration.  A small difference: I would have these yield
matrices.  (I.e., no need for a new "vector" type.)