[Numpy-discussion] untenable matrix behavior in SVN

Tue Apr 29 13:11:43 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:49:50AM -0500, Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> As the number of special-case work-arounds grows the more I'm convinced
> the conceptualization is wrong.   So, I now believe we should change the
> a[i] for matrices to return a 1-d array.

> The only down-side I see is that a[i] != a[i,:] for matrices.
> However,  matrix(a[i]) == a[i,:], and so I'm not sure there is really a
> problem, there.

I think we have simply replaced one problem by another one. I think this
is a bad route to go. I think the only proposition that makes sens so far
is the RowVector/ColumnVector. Yes you return a 1D object, but one that
knows it is a linear algebra object, and not an array. I _really_ don't
like a[i] != a[i,:]. I also don't like loosing the information that you
are doing linear algebra.

Gaël