[Numpy-discussion] untenable matrix behavior in SVN

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Tue Apr 29 13:21:34 CDT 2008

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Keith Goodman apparently wrote:
> I often use x[i,:] and x[:,i] where x is a matrix and i is
> a scalar. I hope this continues to return a matrix.

1. Could you give an example of the circumstances of this
use?
2. Would any or all of the following be just as good
a result?
        a. 1d matrix
        b. row and column vectors (1d but "oriented" for
        linear algebra purposes)
3. If 2a. and 2b. are no good for you,
        a. would e.g. ``x[i:i+1,:]`` be too burdensome?
        b. would ``rows`` and ``columns`` attributes that
        yielded matrics be an offsetting convenience?

Thank you,
Alan Isaac

PS It is nice to have another matrix user in the conversation!