[Numpy-discussion] untenable matrix behavior in SVN

Tue Apr 29 14:12:32 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 02:41:45PM -0400, Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, Gael Varoquaux apparently wrote:
> > I really don't  like a[i] != a[i,:].

> Tim H's proposal avoids that problem.
> What do you think of it?

Sorry, I guess I am lost. Could you remind me which one it is? Given how
well you are summing up the discussion on
http://www.scipy.org/MatrixIndexing , I suspect it is already in the list
of proposal.

> > I also don't like loosing the information that you are
> > doing linear algebra.

> Hmmm.  Is it a given that asking for ``a[i]`` is "doing
> linear algebra"?  Is ``a[i:i+1,:]`` so bad if you want
> a matrix?

Very, very bad. This is completly unreadable. Actually to the beginner,
this looks like a 2*N matrix, not a 1*N matrix.

To me you are really replacing a problem by another. We should fix the
problem, not replace it.

Gaël