[Numpy-discussion] untenable matrix behavior in SVN

Timothy Hochberg tim.hochberg@ieee....
Tue Apr 29 16:18:46 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:03:58PM +0200, Anne Archibald wrote:
> > I am puzzled by this. What is the rationale for x[i,:] not being a 1-d
> > object?
>
> It breaks A*B[i, :] where A and B are matrices.

Shouldn't that be B[i,:] * A? Or am I just confused?

In any event this wouldn't be a problem under row/column scheme or any of
the other results that end up tagging the results with some metainformation.
B[i] would be tagged as a row vector somehow and __mul__ would "do the right
thing" even though it was 1D.

--
. __
. |-\