[Numpy-discussion] untenable matrix behavior in SVN

Tue Apr 29 16:26:09 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 11:03:58PM +0200, Anne Archibald wrote:
> > I am puzzled by this. What is the rationale for x[i,:] not being a 1-d
> > object?
>
> It breaks A*B[i, :] where A and B are matrices.

A*B[:,i], surely.

So it's a notational problem, what is the easiest way to get row/col vectors
out of a matrix. And it will be helpful if the notation is consistent and
easy to understand. In any case, dot doesn't care, so the fault above comes
from the matrix class itself.

Chuck