[Numpy-discussion] "import numpy" is slow

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Aug 1 18:10:34 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 17:50, Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker@noaa.gov> wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>>
>> Can you send foo.stats, too?
>
> sure can.
>
> Also, I've got Shark up and running, and have run it on a script that
> does nothing but import numpy, but really have no idea what I'm looking
> at, or how to send it to someone that does (you?). I'll keep poking at
> it some more.

Looking at the Shark results you sent me, it looks like all of your
time is getting sucked up by the system call getdirentries(). Googling
for some of the function names in that stack brings me to the message
"Slow python initialization" on the Pythonmac-SIG:

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2005-December/015542.html

The ultimate resolution was that Bill Spotz, the original poster, ran
Disk Utility and used the Disk Repair option to clean up a large
number of unused inodes. This solved the problem for him:

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2005-December/015548.html

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."