[Numpy-discussion] "import numpy" is slow

Sat Aug 2 01:16:03 CDT 2008

Robert Kern wrote:

> It isn't. The problem is on Chris's file system. Whatever is wrong
> with his file system (Bill Spotz's identical problem suggests too many
> temporary but unused inodes) increases the traversal of the file
> system.

Ah, I did not think it could indeed affect the whole fs. This seems much
more likely, then. I guess I was confused because wx caused me some
problems a long time ago, with scipy, and thought maybe there were some
leftovers in Chris' system.

It would also explain why import numpy is still kind of slow on his
machine. I don't remember the numbers, but I think it was quicker on my
PPC minimac (under Mac os X) than on his computer.

>  wx has a .pth file which adds entries to sys.path. Every time
> one tries to import something, the entries on sys.path are examined
> for the module. So increasing the number of entries on sys.path
> exacerbates the problem. But the problem really is his disk; it's not
> a problem with numpy or Python or anything else.

It was an fs problem, after all. I am a bit surprised this can happen in
such an aggravated manner, though.

cheers,

David