[Numpy-discussion] Toward a numpy build with warning: handling unused variable

Sun Aug 3 18:31:20 CDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:02 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I say leave these warnings alone. If nothing else, they point to possible
> > cleanups in some future refactoring.
>
> Not really, because they are inherent to the way the Python C API
> works (the first argument of any python C function, which reference to
> self for methods).

But how many methods do arrays and types have? As many as 1500? I think it
is a bad idea to work around these sort of things. If self is needed, it
belongs there. If not, it should be removed. If the warnings are too
numerous, filter them. And why would self go unused in any genuine method?

Chuck