[Numpy-discussion] 1.2 tasks

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Tue Aug 5 12:18:27 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 8:48 AM, David Huard <david.huard@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. Here is what will be printed:
>
> If new=False
>
> The original semantics of histogram is scheduled to be
> deprecated in NumPy 1.3. The new semantics fixes
> long-standing issues with outliers handling. The main
> changes concern
> 1. the definition of the bin edges,
>     now including the rightmost edge, and
> 2. the handling of upper outliers,
>     now ignored rather than tallied in the rightmost bin.
>
> Please read the docstring for more information.
>

> If new=None  (default)
>
> The semantics of histogram has been modified in
> the current release to fix long-standing issues with
> outliers handling. The main changes concern
> 1. the definition of the bin edges,
>    now including the rightmost edge, and
> 2. the handling of upper outliers, now ignored rather
>    than tallied in the rightmost bin.
> The previous behaviour is still accessible using
> `new=False`, but is scheduled to be deprecated in the
> next release (1.3).
>
> *This warning will not printed in the 1.3 release.*
>
> Please read the docstring for more information.

Thanks for taking care of this.  I thought that we were going to
remove the new parameter in the 1.3 release.  Is that still the plan?
If so, shouldn't the warning state "will be removed in the next minor
release (1.3)" rather than "is scheduled to be deprecated in the next
release (1.3)"?  In my mind the old behavior is deprecated in this
release (1.2).

The 1.2 release will be longer lived (~6 months) than the 1.1 release
and I anticipate several bugfix releases (1.2.1, 1.2.2, 1.2.3, etc).
So I think it is reasonable to just remove the old behavior in the 1.3
release.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley