[Numpy-discussion] Horizontal lines in diffraction image (NumPy FFT)

Matthias Hillenbrand mailanhilli@googlemail....
Thu Aug 7 23:38:55 CDT 2008

Hello,

today I found time to do concentrate on the proposed zero padding.

My Gaussian beam and the lenses have a diameter of approximately 2^16
array elements while the total array has a size of 2^18. The absolute
value of the Gaussian beam multiplied by the lenses converges to zero.
Out of this reason I assume that zero padding is not the reason for
the horizontal lines. I also inreased the amount of zero padding by
the factor of 4 but the horizontal lines were still present. Could
something like a difference in the calculation precision (complex
numbers) be the reason for the difference between Octave and Numpy?

Matthias