[Numpy-discussion] packbits / unpackbits bugs or misfeatures?

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus@yale....
Sat Aug 9 20:46:45 CDT 2008

>> Hello all,
>>
>> numpy.unpackbits has a docstring that states that it returns a
>> boolean
>> array, but the function instead returns a uint8 array. Should I enter
>> this in trac as a documentation bug or a functionality bug?
>
> Would you mind fixing up the docs on the documentation editor?

Except that it would kind of make more sense, at least to me, for
unpackbits to return a boolean array, and packbits to take boolean
arrays. I could try to look into fixing the code instead of the docs,
if others agree.

Otherwise I'll fix the docs. Maybe that's better from an API-breakage
standpoint anyway, regardless of what "makes sense to me"...

Zach