[Numpy-discussion] Generalized ufuncs?

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Fri Aug 15 01:19:33 CDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
> Numpy 1.2 is for documentation, bug fixes, and getting the new testing
> framework in place. Discipline is called for if we are going to have timely
> releases.

First,  all your points are very valid.  And I apologize for the role
I played in this.  Thanks for calling us on it.

That said while you are correct that this release is mainly about
documentation, bug fixes, and getting the new testing framework in
place, there are several other things that have gone in.  Their have
been a few planned API changes and even a C-API change.  Travis
emailed me asking where we were on the beta release and whether we
should discuss including this change on the list.

I contacted Stefan and asked him if he could do me a huge favor and
see if we could quickly apply the patch before making the beta
release.  My reasoning was that this looked very good and useful and
just offered something new.  Stefan was hesitant, but I persisted.  He
didn't like that it didn't have any tests, but I said if he put it in
time for the beta he could add tests afterward.  I wanted to make sure
no new features got in after a beta.  Also we are all ready requiring
recompiling with this release, so I thought now would be a good time
to add it.

> We is the numpy community, not you and Travis.

Absolutely.  There were several of us involved, not just Travis and
Stefan.  But that is no excuse.  Stefan, David, Chris, and I have been
trying very hard to get the beta out over the last few days and had
started talking among ourselves since we were mostly just
coordinating.  Taking that over to feature adding was a mistake.

> Why not wait until after the release then?

The motivation is that we are not allowing features in bugfix releases
anymore.  So it can't go in in 1.2.x if it isn't in 1.2.0.  I also
want to get several 1.2.x releases out.  That means the earliest we
could get it in is 1.3.0.  But I would prefer not having to require
recompiling extension code with every minor release.

Sorry.  This was handled poorly.  But I think this would still be very
useful and I would like to see it get in.  We were planning on
releasing a 1.2.0b3 early next week.   But this is it, I promise.

How about we work on it and see where we are early next week.  If it
doesn't look good, we can pull it.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley