[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.2.0b2 released
Travis E. Oliphant
Fri Aug 15 02:00:31 CDT 2008
Andrew Dalke wrote:
> On Aug 14, 2008, at 11:07 PM, Alan G Isaac wrote:
>> Btw, numpy loads noticeably faster.
> Any chance of someone reviewing my suggestions for
> making the import somewhat faster still?
So, what is the attitude of people here? Here's my take:
1) Removing ctypeslib import
* Can break code if somebody has been doing import numpy and then using
* I'm fine with people needing to import numpy.ctypeslib to use the
capability as long as we clearly indicate these breakages.
2&3) I think defering imports for _datasource.py is a great idea.
4) Removing "import doc"
* This was added recently I think. I'm not sure why it's there, but it
might be there as part of the documentation effort. It should be
imported with ipython, probably, but not by default.
5) The testing code seems like a lot of duplication to save .01 seconds
6) Remove unused glob --- fine.
7 - 9) These seem fine.
In sum: I think 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9 can be done immediately. 1) and
4) could be O.K. but 1) does break code and 4 I'm not sure about. 5
seems like it's too much code duplication for too little savings for my
We need to push of the release of 1.2 I think. We are rushing to get
it out by SciPy and it is causing some rushing of collaboration so that
people who would like to comment are feeling that they can't or that
their comments are not desired or valued. I'm sorry for what I've done
that might have left that impression.
More information about the Numpy-discussion