[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.2.0b2 released

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Fri Aug 15 02:30:49 CDT 2008

2008/8/15 Travis E. Oliphant <oliphant@enthought.com>:
> So, what is the attitude of people here?   Here's my take:

I wonder if we are going about this process the right way.  We will
forever be adjusting imports to improve load times.  Why don't we
provide an alternate API, something like numpy.api from which you can
import exactly what you want?  We can disable populating the full
numpy namespace by exporting an environment variable or setting some
flag.  This way, importing numpy is instantaneous, whilst our
interactive users still get the full benefit of having everything
available?

Stéfan