[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.2.0b2 released

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Fri Aug 15 03:44:39 CDT 2008

2008/8/15 Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com>:
> I'm afraid that I still don't understand. Please expand on the

Sorry, it's late.  My explanation is probably not too lucid.

The variable should rather read something like NUMPY_VIA_API, but here goes.

> 1) NUMPY_FAST_IMPORT=0  (or simply absent)
>   import numpy
>   print dir(numpy)

Full numpy import, exactly as it is now.

> 2) NUMPY_FAST_IMPORT=0
>   import numpy.api
>   print dir(numpy.api)

Numpy.*, exactly as it is now.  numpy.api provides a more nested API
to NumPy.  Import time is the same as current NumPy import.

> 3) NUMPY_FAST_IMPORT=1
>   import numpy
>   print dir(numpy)

> 4) NUMPY_FAST_IMPORT=1
>   import numpy.api
>   print dir(numpy.api)

numpy.* is now probably close to empty.  numpy.api is accessible as
before.  Import time for numpy.api is now super snappy since numpy.*
is not populated.

If this is not clear, then I need to sleep and implement a proof of
concept before I try to explain further.

Cheers
Stéfan