[Numpy-discussion] Addition of a dict object to all NumPy objects
Travis E. Oliphant
Fri Aug 15 14:58:42 CDT 2008
While we are on the subject of C-API changes, I've noticed that quite a
few of the sub-classes of ndarray are constructed to basically add
meta-information to the array.
What if the base-class ndarray grew a dict object at it's end to hold
Naturally, several questions arise:
1) How would you access the dictionary? (i.e. __dict__?)
2) Would attribute setting and getting retrieve from this dictionary
(how are conflicts managed).
* I think I would prefer a dict attribute on the numpy array that
gets and sets into the dictionary.
3) Are the additional 4-8 bytes too expensive
4) Should there instead be a C-level array sub-class with the dict
5) How should dict's be propagated through views? My preference is to
not propagate them at all.
More information about the Numpy-discussion