[Numpy-discussion] C99 on windows

Christian Heimes lists@cheimes...
Sat Aug 16 09:21:12 CDT 2008

Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> To clarify this again: *no* features of C99 were used. The C99 specs were
> only used as a guideline to what behavior we want of complex math
> functions, and I wrote tests for this, and marked failing ones as skipped.

Got it.

> However, it turned out that different tests fail on different platforms,
> which means that the inf/nan handling of our complex-valued functions is
> effectively undefined. Eventually, most of the tests had to be marked as
> skipped, and so it made more sense to remove them altogether.

We hit the same issue during our work for Python 2.6 and 3.0. We came to
the conclusion that we can't rely on the platform's math functions
(especially trigonometric and hyperbolic functions) for special values.
So Mark came up with the idea of lookup tables for special values. Read
my other mail for more informations.

Christian