[Numpy-discussion] long double woes on win32

Sat Aug 16 15:47:49 CDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Charles R Harris <
> charlesr.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:24 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com>wrote:

>>> list
>>> 8 so
>>>
>>> Changing this line in numpy¥core¥setup.py:
>>>
>>> -                  ('SIZEOF_LONG_DOUBLE', 'long double'),
>>> +                  ('SIZEOF_LONG_DOUBLE', 'double'),
>>>
>>> is what I did to get the result on windows. But it only "works"
>>> because I know the C runtime really has long double of 8 bytes. On
>>> platforms where it is not true, it is likely to break things.
>>>

>> Hmm. ISTM that numpy should be set up so that the change works on all
>> platforms. However, making it so might be something else.
>>

> Almost works, I get the same two failures as you plus a failure in
> test_precisions_consistent.

<snip>

Simply undefining HAVE_LONGDOUBLE_FUNCS doesn't work because the ufuncs are
defined the usual way with the l/f suffixes and there is a conflict with the
math.h include file. We could fix that by defining our own functions, i.e.,

#define npy_sinl sin

etc.

Chuck