[Numpy-discussion] C-API change for 1.2

Sat Aug 16 23:16:35 CDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Jon Wright <wright@esrf.fr> wrote:
<snip>

> Try to look 12 months into the future and ask yourselves if it was
> really a good idea to break the ABI.

I'm slowly coming to the conviction that there should be no C-ABI changes in
1.2. And maybe not in 1.3 either, instead we should work on fixing bugs and
beating the code into shape. The selling point of 1.1.x is python 2.3
compatibility, the selling point of 1.2.x should be bug fixes and cleanups,
including testing and documentation. ABI changes should be scheduled for
2.0. At some point down the road we can start thinking of Python 3.0, but I
don't expect Python 3.0 adoption to be quick, it is a big step and a lot of
projects will have to make the transition before it becomes compelling.

Chuck