[Numpy-discussion] Possible new multiplication operators for Python

Alan G Isaac aisaac@american....
Sun Aug 17 08:01:40 CDT 2008

Aside from "more operators needed", is there a consensus
view among the developers?

Taking a user's perspective, I see a short run and a long
run.

SR: I am very comfortable with adding dot versions of operators.
I am not worried about reversing the Matlab/GAUSS meanings,
but if others are very worried, we could append the dot
instead of prepending it.

LR: It would be great to use unicode math operators.
On this issue, Fortress is being foresightful.
Accepting the "times" symbol would be a fairly small move
for most users, since it is in the Latin 1 extension of
ASCII.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac