[Numpy-discussion] Possible new multiplication operators for Python

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Aug 17 14:35:23 CDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 11:10:11AM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
>> > LR: It would be great to use unicode math operators.
>> > On this issue, Fortress is being foresightful.
>> > Accepting the "times" symbol would be a fairly small move
>> > for most users, since it is in the Latin 1 extension of
>> > ASCII.
>
>> I'll be sure to list this as part of the received feedback.  I'm
>> personally not too crazy about unicode operators (at least not to the
>> extent that Fortress went, where basically a special IDE would be
>> required to write the code in any reasonable scenario).  But I'm
>> willing to change my mind, and I'm *definitely* acting as scribe here,
>> so everything that is presented will be reported back.
>
> I am very much against unicode operators. I can see a huge amount of
> problems this will generate, for little gain. There are still some
> possibilities to use a plain ascii character (I can think of '^', '/',
> '$', '!', althought each one of these might lead to confusion, and they
> have a feeling of perl). Could we also go for multiple cahracter
> operators? Anybody care for '.*'?

Please read the pep first: the proposal is already for multichar
operators, and the various alternatives are discussed in detail there.
 The .OP form is specifically addressed in the pep, so if you want to
discuss that one, you need to cover the objections to it already
raised in the pep.

As I said before, this discussion shouldn't start from a blank slate:
consider the pep 225

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0225/

as the starting point that python-dev will want for any useful discussion.

Cheers,