[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.2.0b2 released

Andrew Dalke dalke@dalkescientific....
Mon Aug 18 15:00:35 CDT 2008

Andrew Dalke:
> Any chance of someone reviewing my suggestions for
> making the import somewhat faster still?
>
>    http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/874

Travis E. Oliphant:
> In sum:  I think 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9 can be done immediately.  1) and
> 4) could be O.K. but 1) does break code and 4  I'm not sure
> about.    5
> seems like it's too much code duplication for too little savings
> for my
> taste.

Since no one else has said yea or nay, and 2.1 release draws nigh[*],
the simplest solution is to do 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9.  I showed that
1 will break existing code.  As for #4 - as far as I can tell the code
in 'doc' is recent, so no user code depends on it.  Plus, the
documentation that's there is effectively unusable, with files like:

"""

======
Jargon
======

Placeholder for computer science, engineering and other jargon.

"""

so I still want to remove the "import doc" in numpy/__init__.py .

As for #5, that should probably be tied to the nosetests
migration, so it will be done "soon"ish, but not for this release.

Is there a lack of disagreement on this?  Should I construct
a patch accordingly?  Or wait longer?

				Andrew
				dalke@dalkescientific.com

[*] nigh: a word I don't use often except after "draw".
   http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nigh
Interesting.  English once used "nigh, near, next" instead of
"near", "nearer", "nearest".