[Numpy-discussion] numpy.core.numerictypes questions

William Reade william@resolversystems....
Thu Aug 21 05:16:33 CDT 2008

Hi

I hope this is the right place for this question... if not, I apologise,
and ask only that you please direct me somewhere more appropriate.

Line 532 of numerictypes.py reads "_unicodesize =
array('u','U1').itemsize", but _unicodesize itself does not appear to be
referenced anywhere else. My questions are:

* Does this line have any use?
* If not, would it be possible to remove it from a future release?

I ask because I'm working on a project to get CPython extensions
(specifically numpy) working with IronPython, and this line is blocking
me. If I comment it out, I can actually import numpy and use some
features, but I'm not sure how important unicode arrays are: if they're
not widely used, I'd be keen to ignore them for a while and work on,
say, floating-point arrays.

Best
William