[Numpy-discussion] memmap & dtype issue

Mon Dec 1 08:30:02 CST 2008

Wim Bakker wrote:
> For a long time now, numpy's memmap has me puzzled by its behavior. When I use
> memmap straightforward on a file it seems to work fine, but whenever I try to
> do a memmap using a dtype it seems to gobble up the whole file into memory.

I don't understand your question.  From my experience, the memmap is
working fine.   Please post and example that illustrates your point.
> This, of course, makes the use of memmap futile. I would expect that the
> result of such an operation would give me a true memmap and that the data
> would be converted to dtype on the fly.

There is no conversion on the fly when you use memmap.   You construct
an array of the same data-type as is in the file and then manipulate
portions of it as needed.
> Am I doing something wrong? Are my expectations wrong?
My guess is that your expectations are not accurate, but example code
would help sort it out.

Best regards,

-Travis